May 18, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!!

While Phil and I have only been "officially" a couple for a few months, we've actually known each other an entire year now! Last weekend I got to go up to Canada for another visit and to celebrate our 1st Anniversary of the day we "met" each other.

It was a very full weekend! I got the chance to meet Phil's parents, his 3 amazing and beautiful little girls and their mom Nicole. Everyone was so nice and welcoming to me for which I am truly grateful because I was VERY nervous to meet them all.

Last time I went to Canada I flew there (to the tune of about $300). This time I decided to be brave and try out the new Greyhound bus route from NY to Toronto. Depending on the bus schedule its anywhere from 10-15 hours! Yikes huh!? But its also a ton cheaper (like under $100 people!) so I decided it would be worth it. The good news is that there are schedules that drive through the night so I was able to pack my pillow, dress comfy and just sleep most of the time. Sure I was woken up every few hours for the scheduled stops and the dreaded customs visit, but at least the driving time went quickly while I slept inbetween stops.

I was so happy to see Phil waiting for me when I got off the bus on Friday morning! YAY!

That first day I spent time with Phil's dad while Phil had to work, then that evening I cooked dinner for the rest of the family I'd be meeting that evening. We had a really good time sharing dinner and getting to know each other. I really like all of them and hope they feel the same about me.

Phil's younger girls spend the night at the house on Friday so Saturday morning we all had a fun pancake breakfast together. Then Phil and I spent the day together window shopping at the mall and watching movies and enjoying our time together.

Sunday we went to church which I love! One of the toughest things about being in a family ward here in CT is that I'm all alone. It can get very lonely and depressing sitting there in Sacrament Meeting all by myself surrounded by all the families. One of my favorite things is sitting in Sacrament Meeting next to Phil and holding his hand. It makes me feel so at peace with everything, like I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and with exactly the right person by my side. He makes me feel whole in a way I never have before. I am so blessed to have him in my life!

After church we had lunch together, Skype called my mom to wish her Happy Mother's Day, watched a movie, then after a tearful anniversary card exchange (I'm such an emotional baby sometimes! haha) I had to face the really tough part...packing to go home :( I was not a happy girl.

When I was all packed up, Phil and I drove to his Mom's house to visit her for Mother's Day, then it was off to the bus station. Saying goodbye is such a hard thing to do at the end of our weekends together. I want more than anything to just stay there with him. I have to remind myself how lucky we are that we can have these visits at all! For the past year it wasn't possible and now we're so lucky that my boss allows me the time off to go up there and that the new bus routes make the travel so much more affordable. Really we are so blessed! I need to remember that and focus on all the positive parts! Really our life together is just getting better and better! :)

Next trip to Canada is in just a few weeks and I can't wait! It will sadly be a day shorter than the other trips but its certainly better than nothing! I'll take 2 days over no days everytime!

Phil, thank you so much for loving me like you do and for making this past year so amazing! I'm so grateful we've found each other! You're the greatest!

XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Happy Anniversary My Love!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Happy anniversary! I like what you said about being grateful that you have a couple days together here and there, and not focusing on how it's not enough time. A lot of life's happiness is about perspective and it seems you've really gained a lot of positive perspective through going a lot of that last year apart. Never take each other for granted!