Oct 18, 2009

Angels


Fourteen years ago this evening there was a knock on my door. It was a lady in our neighborhood named Joanne, she was holding my dog and informed me that my mom and little brother, Adam, had just been in a car accident. My mom had given our dog to her and asked her to bring her home and tell me the news.

The next morning our little Adam left us, but in the months after the accident, Joanne became our very close friend. She and my mom bonded and she invited us into her family with open arms. We got to spend family reunions with them, Christmas parties, Friday night dinners out with her and her son. I spent several Thanksgivings with Joanne and her family in Park City, UT and they were without a doubt some of the very best Thanksgiving memories of my life. She taught me how to play Settlers, which has now become a family obsession and she taught me how to solve a Rubiks cube.

For almost as long as we knew her, Joanne battled cancer and yesterday it was time for her to be at peace and stop fighting.

Joanne entered my life in the moment Adam left it; now along with Adam I know we have another Guardian Angel watching over us.

We love you Joanne, thank you so much for letting us be a part of your life and for brightening ours during such a dark time and in the many years since.

XOXOXOXOX

1 comment:

Jodi said...

What an amazing lady. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she meant so much to you and your family. I am grateful for my friends and the help they can give us in hard times. Yesterday I spent some time with a childhood friend whose brother was killed last year by a drunk driver. Today is the one year anniversary of his death. It really makes you stop and think about just how quickly someone can be gone. I am sorry that you have lost a dear friend. May you and your family find comfort and may she be watching over you just like your brother. I am grateful that you are my friend and there goes a big hug.
Jodi